Music executive Andre Harrell is known for being a straight shooter. So it didn’t come as too much of a shock when he tweeted his displeasure with the Whitney Houston tribute done at the 2012 Divas Live concert.
Powerhouse vocalists Jordin Sparks and Melanie Fiona were picked to perform in the Whitney Houston tribute. While the performances weren’t spectacular, they were alright. Andre Harrell thought they were terrible and said neither one of the singers could perform a Whitney Houston song. Harrell went on to say Fiona and Sparks aren’t divas, but divas-in-training.
We have to side with Andre Harrell on this one. Melanie Fiona and Jordin Sparks have the ability to sing, but they don’t like like Whitney Houston. Hell, nobody sings like Whitney Houston. The problem is every time anybody sings a Whitney song, they always will be compared to her. And since nobody could be her, we think she should be added to the list of singers whose music you should never try to cover along with Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Prince, and Mariah Carey.
What do you think? Peep the tweet and performance below.
READ MORE HOT MUSIC COVERAGE ON THEURBANDAILY.COM:
Andre Harrell Turns 50!
1. Andre Harrell and Chris Rock1 of 12
2. Andre Harrell and Friends2 of 12
3. Janice Combs and Diddy3 of 12
4. Diddy, Kevin Liles and Richie Akiva4 of 12
5. Russell Simmons, Kim Kardashian and Babyface5 of 12
6. Andre Harrell and Russell Simmons6 of 12
7. Diddy and Nick Cannon7 of 12
8. Andre Harrell and Lyor Cohen8 of 12
9. Richie Akiva and Chris Rock9 of 12
10. Champagne and Bubbles Cake10 of 12
11. Chris Rock and Diddy11 of 12
12. Spike Lee and Diddy12 of 12