Today is a bittersweet day for Bronx rapper Fat Joe. On the day he’s to turn himself in to begin serving his four month sentence for tax evasion, Joe drops his free album “The Darkside 3.” The album, which consists of 10 tracks, features production from DJ Premier as well as some of Joe’s longtime collaborators Diamond D and Cool And Dre. 9th Wonder also contributes some sounds to the project.
Fat Joe recently spoke to a New York radio station about how he wound up with a tax evasion case on his hands. Joe blamed all of his money woes on a dubious accountant he hired after his accountant suddenly retired. “He took over my stuff. I had the guy paying all my bills, so I’m wiring him money every month to pay all my bills, my taxes. I’m asking him if everything is alright. He said, ‘It’s cool,’ this and that, right. He’s doing everything. So one day I go get a car and then I went to get my credit report…so the guy was like, ‘Yo, you sitting down?’ I thought he was joking. He was like, ‘Yo, this shows here that none of your mortgages is paid. None of your cars is paid. None of this.’ So this is how I found out.”
You can download Fat Joe’s “The Darkside 3” at datpiff.com.
1. “Darkside III” f. Dre (produced by Streetrunner)
2. “Madison Squares” (produced by Young Sap and Cool and Dre)
3. “MGM Grand” (produced by Streetrunner)
4. “Pain” (produced by ILLa)
5. “Your Honor” f. Action Bronson (produced by Premier)
6. “9th Wonder” (produced by 9th Wonder)
7. “Cypher” f. Nick Shades (produced by Diamond D)
8. “Grimy in The Early 90’s” (produced by ILLa)
9. “Bass” f. Nick Shades (produced by Cool and Dre)
10. “Angel Sings 2” (produced by Young Hype)
READ MORE HOT MUSIC COVERAGE ON THEURBANDAILY.COM: