Mac Dre was well-known for creating Thizz Entertainment, the label that serves as a home to Keak da Sneak and several other artists. How much do you know about the late rapper?
Here are 12 facts that you should know about the West coast native.
- Born as Andre Louis Hicks.
- Began his rap career under the name ‘MC Dre’ before changing it to ‘Mac Dre’ at the age of 15 to fit the West coast scene.
- At the age of 22, Mac Dre was charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.
- Dre was sentenced to 5 years in federal prison after refusing to inform officials about his partners.
- Dre released three albums before being sentenced.
- Hicks owned the record label, “Romp Productions,” which led police to think that he was affiliated to the “Romper Room Gang,” a gang of robbers that targeted banks.
- Hicks was sentenced to another five years in prison and once again refused the deal offered to him by cops.
- While imprisoned, Hicks recorded “Mac Dre Presents: The Rompalation.” After his release he recorded “Stupid Doo Doo Dumb” and “Rapper Gone Bad.”
- In 2001, Mac Dre founded the record label ‘Thizz Entertainment.’
- Hicks was shot and killed by an assailant on November 1, 2004. He was pronounced dead at the scene of the crime.
- In 2006, Dre’s tombstone was stolen from Mountain View Cemetery.
- Dre is credited for creating the “hyphy movement.”
For more on legendary drug lord Mac Dre, tune into TV One’s “Celebrity Crime Files” tonight at 9pm.
READ MORE HOT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE ON THEURBANDAILY.COM:
Celebrity Crime Files Tune In: Who is Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter? 9 Facts About The Former Professional Boxer
Like TheUrbanDaily.com on Facebook to stay updated with the latest entertainment news and original interviews!