[UPDATE] Bossip reports tonight that the private christian school that Vanessa VanDyke attends has decided against expelling her because of her hair after the public backlash against them.
This is unbelievable! According to WKMG, Vanessa VanDyke an Orlando, Florida 12-year-old little girl of African American descent was told that her natural hair was too distracting and that she either had to cut it off or straighten it out if she wanted to remain in her private school because her hair was a distraction. However, her hair only became a “distraction” after the honor student reported that she was being bullied about it to school administrators. Take a look at the story below!
School administrators are now saying they are not requiring Vanessa to cut her hair but still want her to style it differently. In a statement they say,
“We are not asking her to put products in her hair or to cut her hair. We are asking her to style her hair within the guidelines according to the school handbook.”
The handbook does not cite large or frizzy hair, noting only, “Mohawks, shaved signs, rat tails, etc.”
Mohawks, shaved signs and rat tails are not natural hairstyles and should not be equated as such!
We don’t know what you are going to do Vanessa but we hope you know…we think you’re BEAUTIFUL just the way you are! We congratulate you for taking a stand and for using your voice to speak out for what you feel is an injustice. And no matter what you decided to do we are sure it will be the right choice for you!
Stars Rocking Their Natural Hair
1. 1. Kim Coles at the 39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards held in Beverly Hills in June of this year. (PR Photos)1 of 20
2. 2. Esperanza Spalding at the 84th Annual Academy Awards in Hollywood. (Photo: PR Photos)2 of 20
3. 3. Viola Davis glowed at the 84th Annual Academy Awards with her natural hair. (Photo: PR Photos)3 of 20
4. 4. Erykah Badu at the House of Blues in Chicago. (Photo: PR Photos)4 of 20
5. 5. Jill Scott at the premiere of Why Did I Get Married in New York City. (Photo: PR Photos)5 of 20
6. 6. Shanola Hampton at the TCA Summer Tour CBS, Showtime and CW Party. (PR Photos)6 of 20
7. 7. Ledisi at the Essence Music Festival held in New Orleans earlier this summer. (PR Photos)7 of 20
8. 8. Solange Knowles at the Rimmel Cosmetics Celebration held in London last year. (PR Photos)8 of 20
9. 9. Vanessa Williams at Lalah Hathaway’s Record Release party back in October. (PR Photos)9 of 20
10. 10. Lalah Hathaway at her Record Release Party “Where It All Begins’ (PR Photos)10 of 20
11. 11. Tracee Ellis Ross at the BET Awards held in Los Angeles. (Photo: PR Photos)11 of 20
12. 12. Goapele in concert at the House of Blues in Chicago. (Photo: PR Photos)12 of 20
13. 13. YaYa Dacosta at the ‘Young Adult’ World Premiere in NYC last December. (Photo: PR Photos)13 of 20
14. 14. Kelis in concert at the Palms Pool & Bungalows in Las Vegas earlier this year. (Photo: PR Photos)14 of 20
15. 15. Janelle Monae at the Pre-Grammy Gala held in Beverly Hills last year. (Photo: PR Photos)15 of 20
16. 16. Kim Wayans at the ‘Eye on Black’ Salute to Directors held last year. (Photo: PR Photos)16 of 20
17. 17. Lisa Bonet at the Biker Boyz Movie Premiere held in Hollywood. (Photo PR Photos)17 of 20
18. 18. Alicia Keys at the Stephen Lewis Foundation’s Hope Rising Benefit Concert. (Photo: PR Photos)18 of 20
19. 19. India Arie at the 3rd Annual BET Honors held in Washington, DC. (Photo: PR Photos)19 of 20
20. 20. Last but not least, Oprah Winfrey – The inspiration for the gallery. (Photo: EURweb)20 of 20
READ MORE HOT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE ON THEURBANDAILY.COM
Like TheUrbanDaily.com on Facebook to stay updated with the latest entertainment news and original interviews!