The IRS just keeps messing with popular 90s rapper MC Hammer. Years after paying off his multimillion dollar debt, the government recently told the rapper turned minister that he owed more than a million dollars in penalties stemming from his initial debt that was paid off seven years ago.
As we all know, Hammer went flat broke in 1996 after amassing a fortune worth tens of millions. When he declared bankruptcy, he lost just about everything including his three Grammy Awards and master recordings. While the late 90s were a rough time for Hammer, he finally freed himself from the shackles of debt in 2007 by forking over $7 million. The $7 million included $1.4 million in penalties to the IRS.
Now seven years after Hammer paid off his debt, the IRS is telling him he owes another $1.4 million in late fees and penalties in the stemming from the 1996 bankruptcy case and Hammer ain’t having it. He is asking a judge to block the IRS from taking anymore money from him based on general principle.
Like TheUrbanDaily.com on Facebook to stay updated with the latest entertainment news and original interviews!
READ MORE HOT GOSSIP ON THEURBANDAILY.COM:
IRS Hit List of Celebrity Tax Evaders
1. 1. Kelly Rowland is in a dilemma with the IRS. Rowland owes $100K to the tax man.1 of 18
2. 2. Naomi Campbell owes $63K IRS debt2 of 18
3. 3. Grace Jones currently owes the IRS $64K. (Photo: Retna)3 of 18
4. 4. Toni Braxton filed for Chapter 7 debtor protection in 2010 and owes the IRS $4004 of 18
5. 5. The IRS placed a $1.1 million tax lien against Lil Wayne. (Photo: AP)5 of 18
6. 7. Wyclef Jean owes the IRS $2.1 million. (AP)6 of 18
7. 8. Chris Tucker, according to the IRS owes $11.5 million in delinquent taxes. (AP)7 of 18
8. 9. Swizz Beatz brought with him to his marriage to Alicia Keys, a $2.4 M tax debt..8 of 18
9. 10. The IRS filed a lien against Snoop in 2009 and 2010. He owes around $598,000.9 of 18
10. 11. Convicted Actor Snipes is probably the most talked about IRS celebrity debtors.10 of 18
11. 12. Xzibit owes around $1 million to the IRS.11 of 18
12. 13. Terrence Howard reportedly owes around $1.1 million to the IRS.12 of 18
13. 14. Prince owes approximately $450,000 in Minnesota state taxes. AP13 of 18
14. 15. Young Buck owed $300K and has sinced worked out a payment plan.14 of 18
15. 16. Lil’ Kim owes more than $1 million in state and federal taxes.15 of 18
16. 17. Nas owes more than $ 6 million in back taxes from previous years.16 of 18
17. 18. Kelis joins an elite group on the IRS Hitlist. She owes over $300,000 in back taxes for the years 2004 and 2010.(PR photos)17 of 18
18. 19. Lauryn Hill plead guilty for failing to file tax returns on more than $1.5 million earned from 2005-2007. (PR Photos)18 of 18