NFL playerDevon Still will proudly accept an ESPY award this Wednesday. Unfortunately his daughter Leah, the little girl being honored, won’t be there to accept it herself.
Still’s 5-year-old daughter has been fighting stage 4 pediatric cancer for the past year, a serious disease that is the result of a complication from stem cell transplants. Her story dominated the sports landscape in the fall when the Bengals and several other NFL teams came together to raise funds and awareness for pediatric cancers. The Bengals alone generated more than $1.2 million in donations to pediatric cancer research last November by selling Still’s black No. 75 jersey.
Still hoped that Leah would be healthy enough to attend the ESPY Awards and accept the Jimmy V. Perseverance Award this Wednesday, but according to her doctor, that’s unfortunately not the case. Still posted an Instagram featuring a few family members (but not Leah) this morning, informing us of her upcoming absence.
Leah went into remission in late March, but is still going through various treatments to strengthen her immune system. She’s undergone stem-cell therapy and numerous rounds of radiation, and is hopefully on her way to a healthy life. We hope for her family that this is only one of many awards Leah receives, and that next time, she can walk to the microphone and hold the award in her own hands.
16. She brings out the smile in me #Christmas2014 #PrayForLeah #LeahStrong
16 of 49
17. WCW 😍 #PrayForLeah #LeahStrong
17 of 49
18. I think we compliment each other well #PrayForLeah #LeahStrong
18 of 49
19. 😍 #PrayForLeah #LeahStrong
19 of 49
20. Would you trust her to fly your plane?
20 of 49
21. Thank you to @michellebeisner, ESPN and Disney World (aka Santa Claus) for making one of my daughter’s Christmas wishes come true! #TryingToMakeThisChristmasOneToRemeber #PrayForLeah #LeahStrong
21 of 49
22. My little Elsa #PrayForLeah #LeahStrong #Christmas2k14
22 of 49
23. One last pic before we head back to Philly..Wish we could take this scenery and weather back with us 😔 #OneDayTripsToDisney #Christmas2k14 #LeahStrong #PrayForLeah
23 of 49
24. TBT last Christmas #PrayForLeah #LeahStrong
24 of 49
25. Today on @ESPNNFL Sun Countdown (airing sometime between 12-1235) @michellebeisner gives an update on these two – @Dev_Still71 & Leah Still. And shows Leah’s Christmas wish come true! #LeahStrong #PrayForLeah LINK IN BIO
25 of 49
26. I didn’t really start living until the day my daughter was born and I never felt the type of love or had someone hold me down this hard until I met @ashaadore #MyWCWs #HappyHolidays
26 of 49
27. Finally off work..it’s about to go down!!
27 of 49
28. Hard at work!
28 of 49
29. A night out on the town in Cincinnati…sometimes it feels like there’s not enough hours in the day to all the things we want to before we leave each other but we’re going to make the best out of it before she leaves tomorrow
29 of 49
30 of 49
31. On the way to the hospital for a long day of testing to see how well all the treatment she’s had so far has been working. I don’t think y’all understand how hard I’m praying they come back and tell me my daughter has no more cancer cells in her body 🙏
31 of 49
32. That look when the doc says you can leave after an unexpected stay at the hospital because of a fever
37. “For what’s money without happiness?Or hard times without the people you loveThough I’m not sure what’s ’bout to happen nextI asked for strength from the Lord up aboveCause I’ve been strong so farBut I can feel my grip loosening” …..it’s like all you can do is watch and hope your kid is strong enough to fight the pain smh…this is by far the hardest treatment #OnlyIfICouldTradePlacesWithHer
37 of 49
38. She took chillin at a game to a whole new level..guess she thought me and @tonestill was her bed #family
38 of 49
39. She tries to match my style
39 of 49
40. 😍😍😍 #NYCFashionWeek
40 of 49
41. She looked like a natural
41 of 49
42. In good company @kingjames
42 of 49
43. The doctors office is our photoshoot
43 of 49
44. Don’t forget to preorder your book at iamleahstrong.com !!!!
44 of 49
45. Movie date to see SpongeBob before we head into the hospital tomorrow for Leah’s last round of this treatment
45 of 49
46. Our mindset going into today’s treatment…. 💪EAH STRONG
46 of 49
47. One last selfie before we start chemo
47 of 49
48. Had a real rough night yesterday ended up getting moved to the ICU but doing a little better today…now we’re just watching movies trying to past time and get her mind off things #Matilda
48 of 49
49. A princess will be a princess regardless of her environment. “No more hospital gowns!” 😂😂 S/O to mom mom missy for the princess gowns
49 of 49
Continue reading Devon and Leah Still Family Photo Album [MUST SEE]
Devon and Leah Still Family Photo Album [MUST SEE]