Currently facing criminal trial for felony aggravated sexual assault charges, Bill Cosby has decided to hold off on his civil defamation suit against Beverly Johnson.
The announcement was made in California on Thursday by Cosby’s lawyers who said in a statement, “The case has been voluntarily dismissed at this time due to the (pending) criminal proceedings inMontgomery County, PA, which impede Mr. Cosby’s ability to fully participate in litigating the civil case against Ms. Johnson.” The statement continued, “We fully expect to re-file the complaint against her prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations.”
Cosby initially filed the suit due to an excerpt from Beverly Johnson’s memoir The Face That Changed It All: A Memoir. In the memoir, Johnson recounts her firsthand experience with Cosby. She recalls a time when she reportedly visited him at his home and began feeling dizzy after drinking a cup of cappuccino Cosby offered her. Johnson then went on to describe how she let out a slur of degrading remarks to which Cosby did not appreciate. The model claims her use of profanities is what prevented Cosby from sexually assaulting her, and instead, dragging her down the stairs and putting her in a taxi that took her to her apartment.
According to Cosby, however, Johnson is trying to “resuscitate her own career and benefit herself financially from the wave of media attention surrounding her false allegations.”
Cosby is set to appear in court on March 8 for a pre-trial hearing for charges in relation to theAndrea Constand case, which occurred in 2004.
1. O.J. seen talking to his lawyers Robert Shapiro, Johnnie Cochran, and Robert Kardashian during a trial date.
1 of 40
2. The late Robert Kardashian defends his friend O.J. Simpson in court.
2 of 40
3. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.
3 of 40
4. AI Cowlings, the friend who drove O.J. during his infamous Bronco chase.
4 of 40
5. Judge Lance Ito listens to defense motions to exclude Mark Fuhrman's testimony and the prosecutions' response to retain the information 11 September during a court hearing in the O.J. Simpson murder trail.
5 of 40
6. O.J. x Johnnie Cochran.
6 of 40
7. Kato Kaelin, O.J. Simpson's tenant gives testimony of events leading up to the murder of Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman.
7 of 40
8. when O.J. and Nicole said
8 of 40
9. Deputy District Attorney Chris Darden asks Judge Lance Ito in the O.J.Simpson case 13 January to bar the defense from asking Los Angeles Police detective Mark Fuhrman if he ever uttered a racial epithet.
9 of 40
10. Did O.J. do it?
10 of 40
11. O.J. and Nicole
11 of 40
12. The scene around O.J.'s October 3rd trial date.
12 of 40
13. O.J.'s sister spotted near the crime scene.
13 of 40
14. The infamous Bronco chase.
14 of 40
15. The crowd cheers after hearing the verdict on October 3rd, 1995.
15 of 40
16. A much earlier photo of O.J. and his good friend AI Cowlings, circa 1979.
16 of 40
17. O.J. tries on a glove that was used in the murder of his ex-wife.
17 of 40
18. "If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit."
18 of 40
19. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.
19 of 40
20. Deputy district attorney Marcia Clark is shown during testimony at the preliminary hearings.
20 of 40
21. Marcia Clark
21 of 40
22. Johnnie Cochran, Marcia Clark and Chris Darden
22 of 40
23. O.J. Simpson and his kids at Nicole Simpson's funeral.
23 of 40
24. Robert Shapiro reads O.J.'s damning letter to the press.
24 of 40
25. O.J.'s "Dream Team"
25 of 40
26. O.J. Simpson with Nicole and the kids during happier times.
26 of 40
27. Johnnie Cochran lays down the law, circa 1995.
27 of 40
28. Not Guilty.
28 of 40
29. The Juice at his 1994-1995 murder trial.
29 of 40
30. Robert Kardashian sits through trial.
30 of 40
31. O.J. heading to court in his civil trial for the deaths of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman.
31 of 40
32. Bruce and Kris Jenner attend the trial.
32 of 40
33. Robert Shapiro x O.J. Simpson.
33 of 40
34. O.J. Simpson and Nicole Brown with their children Sydney and Justin.
34 of 40
35. Robert Shapiro in 2015.
35 of 40
36. Marcia Clark then and now.
36 of 40
37. O.J. Simpson leaving the courthouse after the civil trial that followed his murder trial.
37 of 40
38. O.J. heads to the place he knows best, court.
38 of 40
39. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.
39 of 40
40. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.
40 of 40
Continue reading 40 Photos Of O.J. Simpson & The Key Players In His Murder Trial
40 Photos Of O.J. Simpson & The Key Players In His Murder Trial