The 70th Annual Tony Awards, which took place on Sunday in the wake of the devastating Orlando tragedy, changed the game this year when all four musical acting awards went to people of color.
Broadway’s history has been transformed thanks to three Hamilton cast members and one star from The Color Purple who have cemented their names in American culture forever. Even the show’s host James Corden opened the night with a little humor by describing the award show as “the Oscars, but with diversity.”
Leslie Odom Jr. earned the best actor in a leading role in a musical award for his performance in Hamilton; Daveed Diggs scored best actor in a featured role in a musical for Hamilton; Renée Elise Goldsberry took home best actress in a featured role in a musical for Hamilton; and Cynthia Erivo received the best actress in a leading role in a musical award for The Color Purple.
Congrats to all of the Tony award winners and game changers.
SOURCE: Huffington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Twitter, Getty
2016 Tony Awards: Celebrity Red Carpet Arrivals
1. Actress/Filmmaker Lupita Nyong'o looked gorgeous in floral.Source:Splash News 1 of 18
2. Model Joan Smalls wore an eclectic gown.Source:Splash News 2 of 18
3. Actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson looked dapper.Source:Splash News 3 of 18
4. Actor Neil Patrick Harris & David Burtka were a sight for sore eyes.Source:Splash News 4 of 18
5. Actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead was glowing.Source:Splash News 5 of 18
6. Actress Busy Philipps looked pretty in pink.Source:Splash News 6 of 18
7. Actress Lucy Liu went for the lemonade look.Source:Splash News 7 of 18
8. Singer Leona Lewis was classic in black.Source:Splash News 8 of 18
9. Actress Uzo Aduba wore electric blue.Source:Splash News 9 of 18
10. Actor Jake Gyllenhaal went for a classic tux.Source:Splash News 10 of 18
11. Actress Danai Gurira looked gorgeous in yellow.Source:Splash News 11 of 18
12. TV personality and Tony host James Corden & Julia Carey.Source:Splash News 12 of 18
13. "Hamilton" actor/creator Lin-Manuel Miranda won big.Source:Splash News 13 of 18
14. Actress Michelle Williams went for white.Source:Splash News 14 of 18
15. Rapper/Actor Common was dashing as always.Source:Splash News 15 of 18
16. Singer-songwriter Gloria Estefan & Emilio Estefan.Source:Splash News 16 of 18
17. Actor Zachary Levi in a gray suit.Source:Splash News 17 of 18
18. British singer-songwriter Cynthia Erivo.Source:Splash News 18 of 18