7-year-old Tiana Parker has dreadlocks and according to Deborah Brown Community School in Tulsa, OK it is unacceptable and she is not presentable. Check out the heartbreaking story of a little girl who’s self worth has just been victimized by a group of grown school administrators below.
“For safety reasons, girls weaved hair should be no longer than shoulder length. Wearing weaved hair in multiple colors is not allowed. Boys’ hair is to be short and neatly trimmed. Boys are not allowed to wear earrings. The school’s charter enforces the strict dress code to maintain a “respectful and serious atmosphere” and students who fail to wear the proper uniform will be sent home for noncompliance.”
Officials from Deborah Brown Community School in Tulsa refused to speak on camera to any news organizations but administrator Millard Jones told KOKI that Terrance Parker was fully aware of what was expected.
Says Tiana’s father Terrance Parker,
“She’s always presentable. I take pride in my kids looking nice. She went to the school last year and didn’t have any problems. It hurt my feelings to the core.”
Tiana, a straight-A student, has since found a new school home that appreciates her for the smart, gorgeous little girl that she is. We commend you Tiana for bringing attention to your story and how you were made to feel. We think you are absolutely lovely and we hope that you know there are many more people who think the same exact thing that we do! Enjoy your new school!
We won’t call this what it appears to be…but we all know what that thing is. So to Deborah Brown Community School we say simply this…the world is now watching.
Stars Rocking Their Natural Hair
1. 1. Kim Coles at the 39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards held in Beverly Hills in June of this year. (PR Photos)1 of 20
2. 2. Esperanza Spalding at the 84th Annual Academy Awards in Hollywood. (Photo: PR Photos)2 of 20
3. 3. Viola Davis glowed at the 84th Annual Academy Awards with her natural hair. (Photo: PR Photos)3 of 20
4. 4. Erykah Badu at the House of Blues in Chicago. (Photo: PR Photos)4 of 20
5. 5. Jill Scott at the premiere of Why Did I Get Married in New York City. (Photo: PR Photos)5 of 20
6. 6. Shanola Hampton at the TCA Summer Tour CBS, Showtime and CW Party. (PR Photos)6 of 20
7. 7. Ledisi at the Essence Music Festival held in New Orleans earlier this summer. (PR Photos)7 of 20
8. 8. Solange Knowles at the Rimmel Cosmetics Celebration held in London last year. (PR Photos)8 of 20
9. 9. Vanessa Williams at Lalah Hathaway’s Record Release party back in October. (PR Photos)9 of 20
10. 10. Lalah Hathaway at her Record Release Party “Where It All Begins’ (PR Photos)10 of 20
11. 11. Tracee Ellis Ross at the BET Awards held in Los Angeles. (Photo: PR Photos)11 of 20
12. 12. Goapele in concert at the House of Blues in Chicago. (Photo: PR Photos)12 of 20
13. 13. YaYa Dacosta at the ‘Young Adult’ World Premiere in NYC last December. (Photo: PR Photos)13 of 20
14. 14. Kelis in concert at the Palms Pool & Bungalows in Las Vegas earlier this year. (Photo: PR Photos)14 of 20
15. 15. Janelle Monae at the Pre-Grammy Gala held in Beverly Hills last year. (Photo: PR Photos)15 of 20
16. 16. Kim Wayans at the ‘Eye on Black’ Salute to Directors held last year. (Photo: PR Photos)16 of 20
17. 17. Lisa Bonet at the Biker Boyz Movie Premiere held in Hollywood. (Photo PR Photos)17 of 20
18. 18. Alicia Keys at the Stephen Lewis Foundation’s Hope Rising Benefit Concert. (Photo: PR Photos)18 of 20
19. 19. India Arie at the 3rd Annual BET Honors held in Washington, DC. (Photo: PR Photos)19 of 20
20. 20. Last but not least, Oprah Winfrey – The inspiration for the gallery. (Photo: EURweb)20 of 20
READ MORE HOT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE ON THEURBANDAILY.COM
Like TheUrbanDaily.com on Facebook to stay updated with the latest entertainment news and original interviews!