Let’s face it, women are obsessed with hair, especially Black women. So when Maxwell burst on the scene in 1996 with his sultry hit ‘Ascension (Don’t Ever Wonder)’, it made complete sense that women were as intrigued by his retro cool mane as they were his sexy falsetto.
A mixture between an afro, a curly natural and freshly unbraided naps, Maxwell’s hair quickly became his signature – so much so that upon his return to the game in 2009 with a fresh fade, he was met with many disappointed fans.
“It got to the point where I just wanted a fade so bad,” the ‘Pretty Wings’ crooner said in an interview with Singers Room. But if Maxwell wanted to escape the pressures of his hair, perhaps he should talk to the legions of men who followed suit during the height of his ‘mane-ia’.
Fellow R&B’er R. Kelly and even baller Kobe Bryant sported their own versions of the ‘nappy fro’ along with scores of other black men who simply unbraided their cornrows and let them roam free.
An amazing voice, great live show, a huge female following and a trendsetter amongst the fellas? Doesn’t really get much better than that. Watch the video to “Ascension” and tell us which of Maxwell’s looks you prefer in the comments.
WANT THE LOOK? FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
1) Your hair has to be long obviously, so the time to grow it out
2) Twisting or braiding first will help with getting the texture right, but isn’t absolutely necessary.
3) Wash hair with preferred shampoo and towel or air dry.
4) Use a wide toothed comb to tease the hair out
5) If you want to edge up your hairline or sideburns use the Gillette Proglide Styler.
<p>Facebook Live Is Loading....</p>