“Scandal” season three presented some unique challenges for Kerry Washington, who was pregnant during shooting, that took her way outside of her comfort zone!
Fans of the show may have noticed a huge difference in Kerry’s performance last cycle — and we’re not just talking about her very obvious baby bump. Something seemed just a wee bit off about how she was playing the fabulous “Oliva Pope,” but it was hard to identify what the problem was. Then Gladiators found out that she pregnant, and it started to make sense.
While Kerry went through great lengths to hide her pregnancy until she couldn’t anymore, the last thing on her character’s mind was having babies (could you imagine the shocker if she was carrying President Fitz’s baby, or even crazier, Jake’s!?). That meant that the actress had to occupy two very different mental spaces for months at a time when her physical state was constantly shifting.
“All of last season was a challenge for me, on a few levels,” she told The Hollywood Reporter. “For one thing, I was going through this amazing physical transition, this physical journey of having a baby, that my character was not going through.”
Kerry has never been one to require that her life parallel that of a given character. However, carrying a baby did mean that she had to change her approach to acting. “I work very physically. What I do is often grounded in the body. That meant I had to figure out how to be this woman while my instrument was changing and evolving every day,” the actress explained. “It was like seeing the keys on a piano jump around on a daily basis. It was tough for me to even maintain Olivia’s walk because of the changes.” (We knew we noticed a “power waddle!”)
Between her real-life growth and Olivia’s evolution, it was almost too much for Kerry to handle.
“Everything I understood about Olivia unraveled because of the storylines. The season really broke me,” she confessed. “I’m a Type A actor who likes to have it all figured out going in, but suddenly I had no idea where this woman was going to go next. I had to jump in without everything being perfect.”
As tough as the season was, Kerry she ultimately believes that it helped her improve her craft because she was required to step up her level of skill. “I felt like I had been in control playing the character, but it all got taken away from me last season,” she said. “That meant my acting toolbox had to be upgraded. I had to trade in my screwdriver and hammer for a Black and Decker power tool.”
Well now that baby Isabelle has made her way into the world, hopefully we can get that old thing back with Oliva! Fans will get to see how Kerry put her upgraded acting tools to use when season 4 of”Scandal” debuts September 25 at 9 p.m. EST on ABC!
Hollywood's Hottest Moms Who Make It Look Easy
1. Taking Care Of Home & Still Fly!Source:Getty 1 of 34
2. Kerry WashingtonSource:Getty 2 of 34
3. MonicaSource:Getty 3 of 34
4. CiaraSource:Getty Images/Gilbert Carrasquillo 4 of 34
5. Christina MilianSource:Getty 5 of 34
6. Eva MarcilleSource:Getty 6 of 34
7. BeyonceSource:Getty 7 of 34
8. Tamera Mowry-HousleySource:Getty 8 of 34
9. Jill ScottSource:Getty 9 of 34
10. Lisa BonetSource:Getty 10 of 34
11. Amber RoseSource:Getty 11 of 34
12. Mel B.Source:Desiree Navarro/WireImage 12 of 34
13. Angela BassettSource:Getty 13 of 34
14. Garcelle BeauvaisSource:Getty 14 of 34
15. Alicia KeysSource:Getty 15 of 34
16. Kimora Lee SimmonsSource:Getty 16 of 34
17. KelisSource:Getty 17 of 34
18. Erykah BaduSource:Getty 18 of 34
19. Gwen StefaniSource:Getty 19 of 34
20. Paula PattonSource:Getty 20 of 34
21. Taraji P. HensonSource:Getty 21 of 34
22. Jada Pinkett SmithSource:Getty 22 of 34
23. Lauryn HillSource:Getty 23 of 34
24. Jennifer HudsonSource:Getty 24 of 34
25. Lauren LondonSource:Getty 25 of 34
26. Jennifer LopezSource:Getty 26 of 34
27. Mariah CareySource:Getty 27 of 34
28. LaLa AnthonySource:Getty 28 of 34
29. Toni BraxtonSource:Getty 29 of 34
30. 'Lil KimSource:Getty 30 of 34
31. Solange KnowlesSource:Getty 31 of 34
32. Halle BerrySource:Getty 32 of 34
33. Tamar BraxtonSource:Getty 33 of 34
34. Kim Kardashian and Kris JennerSource:Getty 34 of 34
READ MORE HOT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE ON THEURBANDAILY
Like TheUrbanDaily.com on Facebook to stay updated with the latest entertainment news and original interviews!
Working Mom Woes: Kerry Washington Says Filming ‘Scandal’ Season 3 ‘Broke’ Her was originally published on hellobeautiful.com
<p>Facebook Live Is Loading....</p>