Police Officers Shot During Protests After Ferguson Police Chief Resigns

Source: Getty

Another black mother calls the police to help diffuse a situation with her child, another black person shot dead by them.

On Friday night, two St. Louis County police officers shot and killed 23-year old Thaddeus McCarroll after he reportedly came out of his mother’s home with a knife and Bible in his hands.

SEE ALSO: Family Of Chicago Teen Shot 16 Times By Police Awarded $5 Million As FBI Continues To Investigate Death

McCarroll, armed with a knife and book, was shot not by two police officers after an hour of negotiation with the Tactical Operations Unit.

NBC News reports McCarroll’s mother initially called police because her son locked her out of the house, where he was allegedly barred inside with several knives and samurai swords. Also, the news outlet reports police released body cam video from the confrontation in the St. Louis suburb of Jennings hours after the incident.

In a statement released by police on Saturday, St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said police feared for their safety, and had “no option” but to use deadly force against the young man who spoke of going on a “journey” as well as “black revolution.”

NBC News reports:

“The officers resorted to less lethal force to try and bring the incident to a safe conclusion with no loss of life, but this individual made the decision to refuse these attempts, and charge at officers with a deadly weapon,” said the statement.

“After approximately one hour of negotiations, the subject exited the residence armed with a knife in one hand, and a Bible in the other,” according to police. Officers then tried to get McCarroll to drop the knife, firing a “less lethal round” at him in an attempt to disarm him and ordering him to speak with them without holding the knife — but that didn’t work, police said.

“The subject immediately charged the officers at a full run with the knife still in hand,” police added. “Fearing for their safety, two officers shot the subject multiple times.”

Read the entire police statement below:



Activists—who are quite familiar with the suburbs of St. Louis after the death of Mike Brown by police last summer—are protesting the Jennings police department today, questioning why police only negotiated for only an hour, and why such lethal force had to be used. Also, some have taken to social media saying the video captures the officers saying the words “tell me when.”



A video released by the St. Louis County Police can be viewed below.



St. Louis County Man Killed By Police After His Mom Calls For Help  was originally published on

Trending on The Urban Daily
<p>Facebook Live Is Loading....</p>