When I heard about How To Get Away With Murder, I took to Twitter to ask Shonda Rhimes if it was a TV show about police corruption. While she courteously replied, she opted not to match facetious wit. Maybe because it would come at the expense of all the actual police killings broadcasted as if they were scheduled programming.
“Let’s give it up for the Secret Service…I don’t want to be too hard on those guys…cause they’re the only law enforcement agency that will get in trouble if a Black man gets shot.” –Cecily Strong, White House Correspondents Dinner 2015
Though we often have at least two perspectives on criminal justice per incident and some media outlets have different ways of presenting criminals of different races; we can’t honestly proclaim to be the gold standard of democracy, role model of “we the people” who police the world in the name of that ideology, condemning other countries for inhumane dictatorships, while we have a police force that unjustly jails, abuses and kills our own citizens at the high current rate. Perhaps we should engage in a foreign exchange program with the Swedish police department.
America claims justice is blind but when it comes to police brutality and killings of black and brown people, we shouldn’t believe our lying eyes. After writing a piece entitled “White Reservation: The Justification of Breath and Those Who Take It Away,” two police videos were released that support this concept.
Dallas, Texas – A black woman calls the cops to her house to aid in dealing with her son, Jason Harrison. The mother comes to the door first, calmly forewarning the arriving police that he is “Bi-polar, schizo.” The mentally ill man is holding a screwdriver. He does not attack but he does not immediately comply. Within seconds, Jason Harrison is shot to death.
Randolph County, NC – A “concerned” white woman calls the cops to her house to aid in dealing with her relative. Though there is no audio, the woman calmly comes to the door first holding a small dog in her arm. The assaulter comes to the door, attacks the officer with a knife (slashing the cop’s bulletproof vest) and is subdued by taser within seconds.
Sgt. Bernie Maness, of the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office, said they are not releasing the name or mugshot of the knife-thrashing thugindividual they arrested. Why? Is that white reservation?
Sgt. Maness went on to state:
“It’s beautiful evidence. When you can show a jury or a judge exactly what happened at the scene and what the officer was faced with and why he chose whatever course of action he chose, a picture’s worth a thousand words.”
That’s an interesting statement. I’m sure Jason Harrison’s mother might have said something similar when waiting for the indictment that never came.
T. Better Baldwin is a creative mercenary and ethical lobbyist who was born, raised and resides in New York City.
Justice For...A List Of People Killed By Police In 2014 (PHOTOS)
1. Jordan Baker, 26, Killed January 2014 In Texas1 of 20
2. McKenzie Cochran, 25, Killed January 2014 In Detroit2 of 20
3. Keith Vidal, 18, Killed January 2014 In North Carolina3 of 20
4. Yvette Smith, 47, Killed February 2014 In Texas4 of 20
5. Victor White III, 22, Killed March 2014 In Louisiana5 of 20
6. Dontre Hamilton, 31, Killed April 2014 In Milwaukee6 of 20
7. Jason Harrison, 28, Killed June 2014 In Texas7 of 20
8. Eric Garner, 43, Killed July 2014 In NYCSource:Youtube 8 of 20
9. Ezell Ford, Killed August 2014 In California9 of 20
10. Dante Parker, 36, Killed August 2014 In California10 of 20
11. Kajieme Powell, 25, Killed August 2014 In St. Louis11 of 20
12. Omar Abrego, 37, Killed August 2014 In California12 of 20
13. Maria Godinez, 22, Killed August 2014 In Orlando13 of 20
14. Michael Brown Jr., 18, Killed August 2014 in Ferguson, Mo.14 of 20
15. Darrien Hunt, 22, Killed September 2014 In Utah15 of 20
16. Jack Jacquez, 27, Killed November 2014 In Colorado16 of 20
17. Tamir Rice, 12, Killed November 2014 In Ohio17 of 20
18. Akai Gurley, 28, Killed November 2014 In NYC18 of 20
19. Tanesha Anderson, 37, Killed November 2014 In Cleveland19 of 20
20. Rumain Brisbon, 34, Killed December 2014 In Arizona20 of 20
MORE LINKS ON THE URBAN DAILY
Tale Of Two Body Cameras: Why The White Man Lives & The Black Man Dies was originally published on globalgrind.com