It’s a new day for Lady Gaga.
Back in 2014, the Monster pop star revealed to the world she’d been raped at just 19 years old. Though you might’ve assumed that was also the moment she dropped the bombshell news on her family, it turns out two of the closest women to her only found out this past Sunday while watching her 2016 Oscars performance.
Opening up about the personal dilemma she’s struggled with for over a decade, Gaga revealed she’d still never told her grandmother and Aunt Sheri that she is a survivor of rape.
On Instagram, she wrote in part:
I was too ashamed. Too afraid. And it took me a long time to even admit it to myself because I’m Catholic and I knew it was evil but I thought it was my fault. I thought it was my fault for ten years. The morning after the Oscars when I talked to my grandmother Ronnie, with tears in her eyes I could hear them welling through the phone she said to me “My darling granddaughter, I’ve never been more proud of you than I am today.”
Now 29 years old, Gaga performed the Oscar-nominated song “Til It Happens To You” at the Academy Awards on Sunday. She co-penned the powerful track with Diane Warren for The Hunting Ground, a documentary about sexual assault survivors.
She previously said of being assaulted and her work on the documentary:
“I didn’t know how to accept it. I didn’t know how to not blame myself or think it was my fault. It’s something that really changed my life. It changed who I was completely. It changed my body, it changed my thoughts.”
“Diane [Warren, her co-writer] will tell you, it was really hard for me when (the song) came out. I was really stressed out about it.” Gaga said. “Every time I listen to it, I cry. Every time I get a text about it, I always feel sick. It’s like this thing you don’t want to face. But because she wanted to face it with me, it reminded me of what the song is for.”
Gaga, what an inspiration you are. Read her Instagram excerpt in full above.
PHOTO CREDIT: Instagram, Getty
All The Moments From The 2016 Oscar After Parties You Need To See
1. Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock kept it straight-faced for this flick after the Oscars.Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. Jessica Biel, Amy Adams, and Demi Lovato got a little ratchet at the 2016 Vanity Fair Oscar Party by taking their shoes off and enjoying themselves.Source:Getty 2 of 24
3. There are no boxes for Andy Samberg, Justin Timberlake, or Keegan-Michael Key to put anything inside of during this party.Source:Getty 3 of 24
4. Brie Larson had a great time after her Oscar win. Laugh it up!Source:Getty 4 of 24
5. Smooches. Chrissy Teigen couldn't make a face this time as her husband John Legend planted a wet one on her.Source:Getty 5 of 24
6. Wiz Khalifa appears to be enjoying the view, as Charlize Theron chats at the Vanity Fair after party.Source:Getty 6 of 24
7. Sam Smith shares a moment with a worker at the Oscars after party.Source:Getty 7 of 24
8. Kerry Washington wasn't ready, as she jokes with someone off camera while taking a flick with Kate Beckinsale.Source:Getty 8 of 24
9. Wiz Khalifa chats it up with Jeremy Renner at the 2016 Vanity Fair Oscars After Party.Source:Getty 9 of 24
10. The original Creed, Carl Weathers, talks with Michael Strahan and Aaron Paul.Source:Getty 10 of 24
11. Bad Boys: French Montana and Diddy kick it with Chris Rock and Toby Maguire.Source:Getty 11 of 24
12. Catching up! Here's Paula Patton and Anthony Mackie.Source:Getty 12 of 24
13. Paula Patton and Anthony Mackie were having a great time together at the Vanity Fair party.Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. Caitlyn Jenner and Vanity Fair's beauty director SunHee Grinnell attend the 2016 Vanity Fair Oscar Party.Source:Getty 14 of 24
15. Common is the center of attention during this after party.Source:Getty 15 of 24
16. Jason Sudeikis and his wife Olivia Wilde kick it with Aaron Paul. What you drinking, Jason?Source:Getty 16 of 24
17. Caitlyn Jenner and Lady Gaga share words during the Vanity Fair Oscar Party.Source:Getty 17 of 24
18. Kerry Washington poses with Serena Williams. The good guys wear white.Source:Getty 18 of 24
19. Put 'em up! Alessandra Ambrosio is ready for anything.Source:Getty 19 of 24
20. Chris Rock talks with the night's big winner, Leonardo DiCaprio.Source:Getty 20 of 24
21. Kevin Hart rocks out to the tunes at QuestLove at his official Oscar's After Party.Source:Getty 21 of 24
22. Do you see his dance moves in that tux?Source:Getty 22 of 24
23. La La and Kelly Rowland rocked out at Kevin's party as well.Source:Getty 23 of 24
24. Mary J.Blige and her husband Kenzo kept it casual at the Vanity Fair party.Source:Getty 24 of 24
A New Day: Lady Gaga Finally Speaks With Grandmother About Being A Rape Survivor was originally published on globalgrind.com
<p>Facebook Live Is Loading....</p>