In the sport of UFC it’s expected that some pretty nasty breaks will happen, but it doesn’t make it any easier to watch.
In his first title defense (and second match against Anderson Silva) middleweight champion Chris Weidman successfully defended his title at UFC 168 after colliding with Silva in the second round of a bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
According to ESPN, 1:16 into the second round Silva (33-6) threw a left leg kick that Weidman (11-0) checked near his right knee. Immediately, Silva fell to the ground in pain, prompting referee Herb Dean to waive an end to the fight. Replays showed Silva’s shinbone snapped from the force of the collision.
Silva is recovering after surgery to repair his leg and the UFC issued the following statement:
“Following Saturday evening’s UFC 168 main event, former champion Anderson Silva was taken to a local Las Vegas hospital where he underwent surgery to repair a broken left leg. The successful surgery, performed by Dr. Steven Sanders, the UFC’s orthopedic surgeon, inserted an intramedullary rod into Anderson’s left tibia. The broken fibula was stabilized and does not require a separate surgery. Anderson will remain in the hospital for a short while, but no additional surgery is scheduled at this time. Recovery time for such injuries may vary between three and six months. Anderson is deeply touched by the outpouring of support from his fans and the entire MMA community. There has been no immediate decision about his future, and he would kindly ask for privacy at this time as he deals with his injury and prepares to return home to recover.”
The 38-year-old Silva, a former middleweight champion, is considered by many in UFC to be the best pound-for-pound mixed martial arts fighter in the sport. Silva holds the longest title defense streak in UFC history, which ended in 2013 with 16 consecutive wins and 10 title defenses. This injury may mean the end of an illustrious career.
23. Carol Anne Bennett On Stevie J Owing Child Support
23 of 50
24. David Oyelowo on 'The Butlver' vs 'The Help'
24 of 50
25. Lil Scrappy On Being Abandoned
25 of 50
26. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Adebisi) On "Pompeii"
26 of 50
27. Michael Jai White on "Black Dynamite"
27 of 50
28. Dorian Missick On His Hip-Hop Roots
28 of 50
29. Jadakiss on Kendrick Lamar
29 of 50
30. Robert Glasper On Being Sampled
30 of 50
31. Noel Lee, CEO Of Monster Headphons On Swizz Beatz
31 of 50
32. Terrence Howard on Technology
32 of 50
33. Craig Robinson On Crazy Love
33 of 50
34. Tyler Perry on Awards
34 of 50
35. Peter Gunz on Stevie J
35 of 50
36. Talib Kweli On Lyricism
36 of 50
37. Sinnamon Love On Cooking
37 of 50
38. Kevin Hart On Chocolate Drop
38 of 50
39. Black Rob On Bad Boy Curse
39 of 50
40. Nia Long on "The Best Man"
40 of 50
41. Pooch Hall on leaving "The Game"
41 of 50
42. "Fruitvale" Director Ryan Coolger On Police
42 of 50
43. LL Cool J On new rap...
43 of 50
44. Lance Gross on Tyler Perry
44 of 50
45. Anthony Mackie on playing rappers
45 of 50
46. Will Packer on Paul Walker
46 of 50
47. Joe Morton on Twitter
47 of 50
48. Ava DuVernay on Directing "Scandal"
48 of 50
49. Tony Goldwyn on Fitz and Mellie
49 of 50
50. Kerry Washington on being a sexy feministy
50 of 50
Continue reading OUCH! Anderson Silva Breaks Leg In Second Loss To Weidman [VIDEO]
Top 50 Quotes Of 2013
Each year TheUrbanDaily.com works hard to bring you the latest in breaking entertainment news and opinions from around the web, but what we pride ourselves most on is our exclusive coverage. Continuing in our five plus year tradition we have brought you--our loyal readers--over 100 exclusive interviews with the most respected names in music and film, including <strong>Oprah Winfrey, Spike Lee, T.I., ?uestlove, Nia Long, Robert Glasper, Tyler Perry, Talib Kweli, Jadakiss, Bun B, Kevin Hart, Eve</strong> and the cast of "Scandal" and more.
We know that's a lot and you may have missed some of it. So here are 50 Quotes from <strong>TheUrbanDaily.com's</strong> favorite interviews of 2013.