If the afro became the symbol of blackness then the baldy was the symbol of sexy. And one of the pioneers of that sexy is none other than the late great Isaac Hayes.
Combined with the baritone voice, bare chest and gold chains, Hayes brought soul, funk and smooth to the bold style. But (much like many of his fellow cue-balls) the clean shaven look wasn’t the Shaft singers first choice. In an interview with Jet Magazine in 2005, Hayes admitted that mother nature made the choice for him. “I just took what I had (rubbing his bald head) and made it work.”
But as it turns out, the ladies don’t mind the smooth look. Rappers/Actors Common, LL Cool J and Mos Def all sport the bald look and well, neither of them appear to have any trouble keeping lady friends. So perhaps along with crediting Hayes with writing/singing one of the greatest personal anthems in black movie history, we can also thank him for setting a blaze the bald head trend.
Now that’s a bad mutha…Shut yo mouth.
Want the look? Follow these easy steps!
1) Find a room with a large mirror, preferably a bathroom, that you can reflect a smaller hand-held mirror off of. You want to be able to cover as many blind spots as possible. Washing your hair and scalp is always a good idea but especially if you are using a razor. Apply a shaving cream like Fusion ProGlide Hydra Smooth Shave Gel for the closest possible shave.
2) Most successful men start at the bottom but for this cut you want to start at the top. Once you have a runway down the middle there is no turning back. Cut back to front in the direction of your hair growth. Then cut the sides. The back will be the hardest since you can’t see, so you can do that last.
3) Clean off the blades between sections. If you are using a razor rinse off between strokes.
4) Maneuver that hand held mirror so you can watch as you cut the back. If you brush the back of your hair downward, cut in that direction.
5) Rub your fingers across your head to make sure there aren’t any patches or stubble.
6) Wash your head and neck of any loose hairs and apply a moisturizer like Fusion ProSeries Irritation Defense Soothing Moisturizer.
<p>Facebook Live Is Loading....</p>